Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Book of Lies


Brad Meltzer's The Book of Lies is about the original murder and Superman. Sounds far fetched huh? Mr Meltzer spins a web of international intrigue, conspiracy and the supernatural.

Cal Harper witnessed his father push his mother and kill her when he was little. His father went to prison and Cal never saw him again. One night while picking up the homeless in Florida to take to a shelter, Cal and his buddy Roosevelt (a hippie/preacher who's lost his way) find Cal's father with a bullet in his stomach. They take him to the hospital and Cal discovers his father may be receiving and delivering illegal shipments.

Cal and his father are being watched by Ellis, a ruthless killer who is after the shipment and will let nothing get in his way. He is, by the way, on a mission for a higher purpose.

From Florida to Cleveland, all are on the chase to be the first to find the book of lies. With some twists, a double agent and conspiracy, I thought this book cannot miss.
The concept was new and exciting, however, I felt it lacked something. Sometimes I felt liked I may have missed something and I would back up and read, but nothing there that I didn't get the 1st time. The ending was very anti-climatic.

I give this one a 3 out of 5.
StumbleUpon

No comments: