Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Host


I just finished reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer and it was great. It was a little hard to get into at first, but as it progressed it got better and better.

This is a book about aliens who are invading the earth. It is a little different than what you may expect. The aliens are implanted into the human bodies where they then take over and make the "owner" of the body disappear. We begin the book with a special soul (alien) called Wanderer, because she has lived on 8 different planets but hasn't found where she belongs yet. They have implanted her into a very strong willed human called Melanie. Instead of Melanie giving in and letting the soul take over, she fights back by yelling at Wanderer and playing back some very strong memories.

Melanie tries to win Wanderer over and talks her into finding her brother and boyfriend. Wanderer knows and feels everything that Melanie does and eventually she falls for Jared, Melanie's boyfriend.

This is a sci-fi novel, but of a different sort. It really comes down to a story about love, and what we would do for the ones who are important to us. It's about who you are as a person. The characters are deep and complex, some of whom I hated when I first read about them then later came to love. By the end of the book I was crying I was so emotionally involved. I think it is easily one of my top 10 favorite books of all time.

I give it a 5 out of 5. I couldn't put it down!!!
StumbleUpon

1 comment:

johnny ray said...

I am glad you enjoyed this book. It is different,I'll agree. I am working hard on making it as a writer and learning so much from readers. I am going to be changing up my blog today and focusing more on readers. You might like it. it is located at http://sirjohnnyray.blogspot.com/

Johnny Ray