Saturday, February 7, 2009

I just finished The Bodies Left Behind by Jeffery Deaver. I actually listened to this while I was trying to fall asleep. Not a good idea. This was the first book by this author I have ever read(listened to).
.
As the book begins, a city couple are in a secluded cabin to enjoy a little time away from work and worries. The wife, a lawyer who has been working on some very high profile cases and the husband, a social worker, are getting settled in and enjoying some drinks. The wife hears some noises outside and gets spooked. They look outside and find a face staring back at them. The husband calls 911 and has enough time to utter "this" before 2 men come through the door and end the call. The sheriff's department get the call, but are unsure as to what it means. Since it was from a cell phone it takes a while for them to track down from where the call came.
.
When the location is determined, Brynn McKenzie is the deputy called to check it out. Brynn is only to glad to get away from her family for a while, for reasons she's not ready to face quite yet.
.
As she nears the cabin, the sheriff calls and reports that the husband called back and said it was a false alarm. Since Brynn is so close, and has to use the bathroom, she pulls up to the cabin and walks into something she is not prepared to see. From here the story moves into a game of cat and mouse between Bynn and a family friend caught in the wrong place and the two professional killers. The family and cops think it was a false alarm and are unaware that two women are deep in the woods in the middle of the night, trying to get to safety, running for their lives.
.
First let me say, it was a mistake trying to listen to this while I tries to fall asleep. It was a thriller at its best and one of the betters ones I have read in a while. With twists and action, at one point I was almost asleep, when I gasped and said out loud, "Oh my gosh!!). I was up late that night! If this book is anything like the others Mr Deaver has written I am getting more. It was smart and the characters were amazingly real. I loved this book.
.
5 out of 5...you have to read this!
StumbleUpon

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have read Jeff Deaver and I do like his work.

Anonymous said...

That does sound good. I never read any of his books but this sounds like one both my husband and I would liked. Thanks for reviewing it here. I'll be adding it to my "Plan to Reads."

C said...

ettarose...if all his books are as good as this one, I'm a big fan!

Karen, thanks for letting me know this review helped you add another book to your list! I know you will enjoy it!