Sunday, July 20, 2008

Vanish








I finally found a book I could finish! Vanish is the debut novel by Tom Pawlik. This book was different than most Christian novels out there. I couldn't put it down!

Three different people witness a strange storm coming to Chicago, then wake up the next morning to find themselves alone. Conner had his daughter for the weekend, Mitch was going to propose to his girlfriend, and Helen had just celebrated her birthday with her son. However, the next morning, they realize the city is empty. They find each other searching for answers and decide to stay together to look for other survivors. As they do, they realize they are being watched from the shadows and the creatures watching aren't quite human. Was there some kind of invasion?

Conner, Helen and Mitch decide to try to get to Washington to see if it was some kind of biological attack. As they travel they meet a few people, and the "others from the shadows" become bolder and start attacking them. These creatures seem indestructible, and after the survivors, but why? What makes it worse, Conner and Mitch are plagued by disturbing hallucinations that these faceless creatures are subjecting them to. What has happened and where did everyone go?

This book is a great psychological thriller that really kept me intrigued. When I thought I had it figured out, there would be another factor thrown in. I really enjoyed this book. Mr. Pawlik did an excellent job. I was afraid he would give the book a fairy-tale, Hollywood, christian feel good ending, but he didn't. While I'm all for happy endings, sometimes they take away from the story and make it feel contrite.

This was a great read and I was happy to finally find a book that I couldn't put down!
I give it 5 out of 5!
StumbleUpon

1 comment:

Tom said...

Thanks for the great review. I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

TP