Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Devil in the Junior League


I recently read "The Devil in the Junior League" by Linda Francis Lee.
This is a story about Fredericka Mercedes Hildebrand Ware, a 28 year member of the Junior League of Willow Creek. The members are the creme de la creme of Willow Creek and they view themselves as modern day Robin Hoods, schmoozing money out of their husbands to do charity work. Frede (pronounced Freddy) comes from old money and while her husband has the fine old Texas name but no longer has the old Texas money. Frede lets her husband, Gordon, handle "their" money and this leads her into some trouble that results in her having to make a deal to get her new neighbor, Nikki Grout, accepted into the league. Nikki, however is NC (someone with no class) even though she is very rich and is just not socially acceptable.
We follow Frede as her perfect world is turned on end and she finds out that it's ok to let your hair down and be a real person.
This was such an enjoyable book. I could hear Frede's southern drawl and she made me laugh out loud. For example Frede says,"I never could resist a challenge. My mother said it was because I had to have everything my own way. I say what's wrong with having everything my way, as I see it, it's not my job to make anything anyone else's way." This was one of those books I started to get sad with nearing the end, cause I knew the ride would soon be over. I am anxious to find more books by Ms Lee.
I give this a 5 out of 5.
StumbleUpon

No comments: