Friday, September 19, 2008

Supreme Courtship





I just finished Supreme Courtship by Christopher Buckley. Mr Buckley is, according to Fortune magazine, the quintessential political novelist of his time.
In this book, President Donald Vanderdamp is having a hard time getting his nominees on the Supreme Court. Sen. Dexter Mitchell wanted to be considered for the opening, but the President declined. Now Mitchell dismisses each of his nominees for the silliest of reasons, but President Vanderdamp has found a way to get back. He nominates the country's most popular judge, Pepper Cartwright, the judge on reality TV's Courtroom Six. (think Judge Judy only young and hot)

As Pepper considers being a Justice, her husband/producer, Buddy, threatens breach of contract. Pepper has a sordid past, however, and isn't even sure if she'll get past Sen. Mitchell.

I am, by no means, politically savvy. I really have little clue as to what goes on in the government. W
hen people start talking about congress, government, politics, my eyes glaze over and I mentally take a vacation. That being said, I really enjoyed this book. You don't read Mr. Buckley's books for his realistic characters, they are exaggerated and hilarious. They are meant for us to take a step back and look at how things are. They invoke reflection on another level. There were times I laughed out loud and times I thought, "if only". Just think of how much better this book would have been for me if I really understood the government!


**spoiler alert**

After Pepper makes it in, I really would've liked to have seen her make the same types of rulings as she did on TV, at least on one of the cases. That would have been fun. Also, when they were dealing with the case of Vanderdamp v Mitchell, I felt the book was kind of running out of gas
. The book felt like it petered out at the end.

**ok alert over**


I give this book a 4 out of 5.



StumbleUpon

No comments: