Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Chivalry

As I was leaving the local 7/11 this morning, a man held the door open for me. You know, its nice to know that chivalry is not dead. Sure its a small gesture, but it makes me feel good, almost pretty, if that makes sense.

I am all for being treated as an equal, but shouldn't women be treated with respect too? I am raising my son to know that girls can do anything boys can do, but that he should open doors for them, carry their books, always help them. I almost long for the days when the men would get up when a woman walks in the room.

Why can't we work on cars and have the chair held out for us? Why can't we arrest abusers and still have the door held open for us? It's not like the men are doing it because we are weak and can't. They are doing it because we are important and respected. I wonder if we raised our boys to know that, if there would be less violence against women. If we tell our boys that women are smart and deserve to be treated with reverence, that maybe us girls will feel important and deserving.

I think some of us get into an abusive relationship because we feel like we don't really deserve any better. Maybe if our fathers treated us like princesses that we would know we are special.

Ah, but I digress.

Thank you sir for opening the door for me. You had no idea, but you made me feel special today....and I needed that.
StumbleUpon

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I know what you mean. I wonder if it is hard for our society to find an equal balance by between being a gentleman, treating a woman as equal and so on.
I mean some occupations I think also changes a woman's personality as well and at times , men might get mixed singles that she doesn't want to be cherished.
I really do understand where you are coming from though and it is nice to know that chivalry is not dead is some.