Saturday, September 27, 2008

I finally got a hold of the latest Janet Evanovich
Fearless Fourteen.

Stephanie Plum, the lingerie buyer turned bounty hunter, is searching for skips and helping out Ranger, the uber-hunk. He is helping out a friend by being a bodyguard for Brenda, a 61 year old singer turned cabaret act.

When Stephanie tries to get Loretta to reschedule her court appearance, Loretta talks her into watching her son, Mario, who only answers to Zook. Lulu, Stephanie's
sidekick/hooker turned file clerk, has somehow managed to get engaged. Morelli, Stephanie's on again - off again beau, has his hands full helping watch Mario, who may be his son, and dealing with a distant cousin's exit from prison and subsequent search for the 9 million that was hidden from the bank job. Thing is it may be hidden in Morelli's back yard, and since they live in the burg, everyone else learns about this and all are trying to dig it up.

This is a typical Evanovich book, with quirky characters and outrageous scenes. I have been a big fan of this series since One for the Money, but the last two books have lacked something, and just aren't as funny as the previous ones. Also the love triangle between Stephanie, Morelli and Ranger has slipped into the background, and I really was enjoying that story line. I will actually laugh out-loud while reading previous books, and while the last two certainly made me chuckle, I am sad the 13 and 14 are not as clever. I'm afraid that after a while the author may not find as much joy in writting about the same character and may just be pumping out the same old things rehashed. Please say it ain't so Mrs Evanovich...I love Stephanie and I miss her!

I give this one 3 1/2 out of 5.
StumbleUpon

2 comments:

Robert said...

My wife and I felt the same way. The quality of the writing lacked the zippy-ness the others have had. We were sorely disappointed, and after such a long wait too.

Pauline Evanosky said...

I love the Stephanie Plum books.