Sunday, August 3, 2008

Wild Animus


Oh my Lord, file this under the "what the heck?!?!" file. Wild Animus, by Rich Shapero is the most bizarre book I've ever attempted. I listened to this one on my bike rides to work.

This is a book about Sam Altman's journey to find himself. He is at a protest at Berkley trying to escape the gassing by the national guard. In his rush, he happens upon a girl, helps her out, and they find themselves in a store. He asks for her number, grabbing a nearby magazine for her to write it down. Thee
magazine happens to be one about Alaska and on the front is a picture of a ram. He falls madly in love with the girl, Lindy. As he grows closer to Lindy he falls farther away from his friends.

The thing that seems to keep Sam and Lindy so close it their mutual love of drugs. They do them a lot, let me tell you, and that's not all they do a lot. They also have sex, a lot. Sam believes he is the ram on the magazine that brought him and Lindy together. He also believes he needs to be in Alaska. Since they are about to be caught for selling drugs, they make a run for that state. Sam spends his days trying to become the ram, while Lindy waits tables so she can pay the bills and feed them.

I listened to 3 of the 9 cd's and I just couldn't do it anymore. Maybe because I never did drugs, maybe because I wish I was doing them when I was listening. Honestly, some of the drivel that was coming from that book make me wanna puke. I mean, come on, Sam thought he was a ram and that Lindy was a pack of wolves? That was the plot. I think Mr. Shapero was on drugs when he wrote this, either that or suffering from a bad trip.

Since I couldn't finish I'd have to give it a 0 out of 5.
StumbleUpon

No comments: