Sunday, December 21, 2008

Unusual gift idea.

While trying to make some money off my blog, I came across Snapbomb. This is a site where you can blog about different sites online. You have to qualify for the opportunity, then you write, they check and then they pay. I'm a little disappointed because I don't ever qualify for much. You can still blog on opportunities, but if you don't qualify, you don't get paid.

Anyways, I checked the other day and I didn't have any new opportunities, but one of the ones I didn't qualify for caught my eye. The caption was "Have you ever seen a plant move when you tickle it?" That sounds odd...so I went to the Tickle Me Plant web site.

This is the coolest thing I have ever seen. The plants actually move when you touch them. Go to the site, there are videos there that show you how the plant reacts. You can order a kit that has all you need to grow the plant, party favors (seeds, mini pots and seeds) or just seeds. Every order comes with experiments and educational activities. If you are a teacher or you home school this plant would be great.

Not only would this be cool for a lesson plan, or just to have at home, when you order 1% of all their profits after taxes go to the Nature Conservancy's program to save the rainforest, called Adopt an Acre. They also offer a fundraiser with 50% profits.

Even if you aren't into plants or gardening...stop by this site and watch the video...it's the coolest thing.
StumbleUpon

5 comments:

Robert said...

It's a type of mimosa plant. We used to keep one at the bar I used to work at. If someone was obviously too drunk to drive we'd tell them the plant was a good breathalyzer. Give the plant a nudge as they breathe on it and it wilts before their eyes. Usually enough to get them to let you call them a ride...

Anonymous said...

Wow that is way cool! At first I thought it was animation but then I realized the plant was really moving.
I am no green thumb but I order the Tickle me plant green house. I can't wait to grow this with my kids.
Cool find!

C said...

Thanks so much for letting me know what you think! Drofen, that is too funny! You are so smart. I knew there was a mimosa drink, is it named after the plant?

Anonymous, I'm excited that you got one. As soon as things settle down around here and we are more stable I wan to get one too.

Anonymous said...

My grandparents had one of these TickleMe Plants when I was a kid and I thought it was the best thing ever! I had totally forgotten about it. What a nice stroll down memory lane and a great idea for my grandmother! I just ordered the TickleMe Plant greenhouse. I never realized the plant has cotton candy like pink flowers... ordering a few for my loved ones for Valentines day

Robert said...

Not sure if the drink and plant are related or not. The mimosa family is pretty big. There are also mimosa trees that are large and have similar looking foliage and blooms to the small plant, but don't have the reactive reflex.

Sorry, grew up on a farm, LOL.