Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Tenth Circle


I just finished reading The Tenth Circle
by Jodi Picoult. I saw that they were going to show it on Lifetime and I love to read books before they become movies. I must say, I wish I had just skipped this one.

The Tenth Circle is about the Stone family.
Laura, the mother is a college professor who teaches a popular course on Dante's Inferno, Daniel, is a stay at home dad, who is a comic book artist, and Trixie, their 14 year old.

Trixie is in love with Jason the star hockey player and when they break-up she is totally devastated. She is convinced they are meant to be together and she will do anything to get him back. Zepher, Trixie's best friend, plans to help her out by having a party at her house and helping show Jason what he is missing. After most of the kids went home Jason, his best friend Moss, Zepher and Trixie started playing strip poker. This ends badly when Moss takes a picture on his phone of Trixie with her top off. Jason tries to make sure Trixie's ok and as he is consoling her, one thing leads to another and they end up on the living room floor. Trixie calls it rape, but when Jason is arrested, he's totally baffled. To him it was consensual.

This is the catalyst for the story, but I am sorry to say that from here the story goes all over the place. This is the 3rd book that I have read by Jodi Picoult and I am glad it wasn't the 1st, cause I probably wouldn't have read any others. This one had soooo much going on. There was rape, drugs, adultery, run-aways, murder, cutting, and more. As the book started the characters were real and you cared for them, but as it went on, and she(Jodi) added more and more, it got to the point where it killed how I felt about them.

I highly recommend Nineteen Minutes (5 out of 5) or My Sister's Keeper (4 out of 5) however I would say to pass on this one. By the way, I never saw the movie on Lifetime, by the time I finished the book, they were done showing it. I'm not even sure if I care enough to watch it, though.

I give this a 2 out of 5.
StumbleUpon

No comments: