Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Baron Thinks Dogs are People Too


I just read the children's book Baron Thinks Dogs are People Too by Laurie Dean. Its about a dog Baron and how he is looking for a best friend. He lives with a family that has a little boy and girl. The boy and girl play with Baron outside and Baron runs for the street. They take him to obedience school. Then the father is called to duty. Then Baron is outside watching the kids playing in the snow. He wishes he has a friend until his little boy is by himself. Baron runs up to him and pulls him on the sled and plays with him. Then Baron has a best friend.

My issue is if the boy was there all along, why weren't they best friends already? Why, out of no where, was the dad called to military service then nothing was said about it? Did he come back? I think there was an issue of coherence and fluidity with this book. The illustrations by Kevin Collier were wonderful but the story was confusing.

Perhaps I am thinking too much for a children's book. If you check on Amazon this book received all 4's and 5's with one 3 star. I just think even though it's a children's book there should be a clear story line that makes sense. This one just didn't deliver for me.

I'd have to give this book a 1 out of 5.
StumbleUpon

No comments: