Thursday, January 29, 2009

Personal Mission Statement

Back in December I send out a resume that I had completely forgotten about. I got a call for an interview. I went Tuesday. I'm torn. I have a new job working at a local shop, basically doing grunt work. Their training takes over a year and since the orders are currently behind, I'm really just a facilitator. The owners are wonderful. Every time I finish what they ask of me, the thank me and tell me what a good job I do. It's so nice after working at a restaurant where if you went to the bathroom the owner would call you a dumb-a$$. But I digress....

The interview is for a challenging and rewarding career that would actually use my BA to some degree. I wont hear back for at least 2 weeks, but I'm not sure if I should tell my current employer. It is a bit removed from my BA so I'm a little leery that I will even get the job. So I guess this blog is 2 fold. Should I say something or wait until I get a call back? I know my current employer is hoping I will stay for a while, but I really need more hours and at this time they can't give me more. So discuss amongst yourselves....share what you come up with!

Secondly, at my interview, a question they asked was, "What would be your personal mission statement?" Hmmm. I said...(please don't laugh too hard)...To be the best you can be, no matter where you are in life. You can be a waitress, work in a shop or as a doctor. If you are all you can be, you can help others through some difficult times. Sometimes it's not about doing the job at that moment, but listening to who came into the business and being there for what they may need at that moment." I felt like a commercial for the army. Really?!? Man, I must talk to hear my voice sometimes. Have you ever thought about your personal mission statement?

You know, after that, maybe I wont get a call back. Hhhmmmm. StumbleUpon

2 comments:

Robert said...

I think that's a great personal statement. It shows that everyone is valuable, regardless of station in life.

And no, don't tell your current employer that you *might* get a new job. However, when you get your call asking you to accept your new position, accept with the stipulation that you'll need to put in 2 weeks at your current position as a courtesy to them. Your new employer should have no problem at all with that, and should think you the better for it.

Congrats!!

C said...

Thanks Drofen...you always make me feel good! I really appreciate your taking time to help me out.