Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Waiting for Jack

I have recently read Waiting for Jack by Kristen Moeller. This is a book about how some of us tend to wait for the one thing that will finally make us happy, whether that thing is finishing school, getting married, losing weight, making money....you understand.

I was really excited to get this book, because I am one of those people who are waiting to be fulfilled. Let me tell you I am 44 and still waiting.

This book is broken down into 3 sections, body, mind and spirit. In the first sections the author tells us how she got to the point where she realized that she has been waiting her whole life for the "one thing" that will complete her. She also addresses how we look for things outside of ourselves to make us happy. The second section she talks about how we wait for a purpose, love, the right place among other things and in the last sections she looks at how we box ourselves in, our preconceived notions and what we thing life is.

Each section ends with a list of questions to help us reflect on out thoughts and things to practice. It was an easy read and her stories and the stories from others were helpful and interesting. I read through this book quickly so I could give a review, however this is a book in which you would want to take your time and really take in each chapter. When I finished the book I thought well there wasn't really a moment I thought, "So that's what I need to do." I did see my thoughts and mannerisms in there, but nothing that showed me how to fix it. I thought well that stinks, I thought I would be fixed. It wasn't until a couple of days later when I was reflecting on what I want to include in my review when I realized that is not how this book works. I was waiting for a book that would fix me! (shaking my head) I need to take my time and absorb each chapter, reflect in the ideas and take each day at a time. I got it...and I am going to do just that, reread this book slowly, applying the ideas, daily.

This book will not fix you. You have to stop waiting for perfection. This book WILL take you on a journey, if you take the time and are serious about it, to help you start living each day and stop waiting.

I give this book a 5 out of 5.

StumbleUpon

1 comment:

pica84 said...

I live in michigan too.