Tuesday, July 7, 2009

BoneMan's Daughters


I hate when I can't find a good book. I've hit a dry spell lately. Ted Dekker is an author that either I love his book or I am unimpressed. I'm afraid this last one fell in to that last category.


The BoneMan's Daughters follows Ryan Evans, who doesn't know how to be a father or husband so he throws himself into his work. He is a military intelligence officer and is serving a term overseas. Ryan and his men are overcome by the enemy, he is captured and is the only survivor. His captor is angry with America for killing innocent women and children and he wants to use Ryan as an example. He wants Ryan to break the bones of seven children that he has found, just like his children's bones were broken when a bomb, set off in the building where they were playing, killed them. Ryan manages to escape, only after the children were killed by his captor. Ryan vows to be the husband and father he should have been, only to come home and find his wife with someone else and his now 16 year old daughter resentful and not in the least interested in him as a father.

Back home there is a serial killer on the loose the press has named the BoneMan. He kidnaps girls and kills them by breaking all of their bones without breaking the skin. As Ryan tries to win his way back into his family, the BoneMan targets his daughter.

Let me say, I am a fan of Dekker. Some of my all time favorite books are Thr3e, Adam, and Blink. Some of my least favorite books are House, Showdown and this one. I felt like there was nothing moving this book along, it just kind of dragged. This was one of those books where I thought, "Any minute now, this book is gonna kick in and be really great!" Nope, never happened.

I give this book a 2 out of 5.




StumbleUpon

1 comment:

Robert said...

You have to admit though, it is a creative and original plot. If not a bit contrived.

Hope things are going great for you!