Tuesday, April 20, 2010


Be the Noodle by Lois Kelly is a book written per the wishes of a dying mother. It is 50 ways to help you, as the title says, be a compassionate, courageous, crazy-good caregiver.
.
I have to say the only reason why I decided to review this book was for a friend who is studying to be a social worker and has no free time to read. I agreed to read the book and let her know if it would be a great resource for her. I am blessed for doing so.
.
I have had a mother go through a bout of cancer and she has survived, so I thought I was far from needing a book like this. Unfortunately, people sometimes wait to late, or avoid things that are sad, uncomfortable or make us face mortality. Let me tell you, even though this book deals with death, it is actually a very empowering book. It brings to light situations we may all face when dealing with a loved one who is dying. Sometimes, when we have a glimpse of things that may occur, it doesn't seem as scary. It can give us the tools, ahead of time, that we will need to make things easier. This book is probably the most important tool you will need.
.
The book is broken down into 3 sections. 1) Wham! Bam! Welcome to the caregiver club, ma'am...here we find help with managing visits, just being there and she's got the power. 2) Conflict and crisis: when the wild, wicked and weird start hitting the fan...here is a look into foul moods, hesitating on hosp-ice, and sharing everything with others. 3) Being laid off: saying good-bye to the hardest job you never wanted...addresses dew vs. fog, sadness vs. grief and writing a killer eulogy.
.
From being tossed into and coming out the other end, this book holds your hand through it all. I cannot tell you how much comfort I felt in reading this book. I know that if and when I'm in this situation, I will not be alone even if I am on my own.
.
I give this book a 5 out of 5. You will want this resource on you shelf, you will gain so much.
StumbleUpon