Sunday, January 20, 2008

Lost and looking...

I am a college graduate who is working as a waitress. I am 42 and I live in a mobile home. I feel like I should have my life together, but am far from it. I've thought a lot about it and I think I have lived life without purpose. In other words, I just flow from day to day, letting life happen. With-out any purpose or goal in mind, I'm just floating along. I decided, maybe I should work more on being intentional in life and maybe I should start with myself, my character. I am now reading Character Makeover (Forty days with a life coach to create the best you.) by Katie Brazelton and Shelley Leith.
This is grace-filled, God centered coaching that looks at eight character qualities. They encourage us to look at our lives and ask ourselves "Do I have any of these good qualities...Am I soaring on wings like eagles (Isaiah 40:31), or am I living an unfulfilled life held back by one of these forces (pg 12).Boy, this really spoke to me.
The authors encourage us to take one character a week and work on it for 5 days. Day one looks at the trait and you work on learning more about it. Day two looks at the strongholds that character can have on you, things that can be holding you back. Day 3 is a more in depth look at the good and bad of that trait. Day 4 is more introspective and day 5 gives exercises that can help you adopt practices that will deepen that trait in your life.
I started last week and worked through self-control. I am praying this will get me ontrack to actually living instead of existing. I will let you know how it goes. I have 7 more weeks to go.
StumbleUpon

1 comment:

Admin said...

Kudos for you on working through this book and on yourself!

As a Life Purpose Coach trained by Katie Brazelton I want to encourage you to investigate taking things a step further by hiring a life coach. Most coach by phone, some by email and some in person. All have varying rates. Some are coaching women through this book. Visit www.LifePurposeCoachingCenters.com for information.